Thursday, November 7, 2013

Snow Canyon Half Marathon

This past weekend we enjoyed St George with some of my family. My sister, brother and I all ran the Snow Canyon Half. It was a beautiful course and a super fun race. It was fun training and running with family. A year ago I never would have guessed that we would run a half together but I am so glad that we did. The kids had fun swimming at the hotel after the race and John enjoyed the afternoon golfing. The weather was gorgeous!!! I was hoping to run this race with an average 8 minute mile. Chet and I made it just under that with an average of 7.54 min miles, so I felt happy about that. Chet on the other hand is determined to run a half closer to 7 min miles. Good luck to him! I am not as ambitious!

John had all 4 kids ready to go for the day and met us at mile 4. It was so fun to see my family and give the kids a quick squeeze! I thought I would be a bit cold during the race so I chose to wear my light jacket. It turned out that I was super warm so i quickly took off my jacket and repined my number on. I was so happy for Hailey's help! She made sure to grab my gloves and jacket for me. As I was making the quick change, John saw the 1.45 min pacers coming. He yelled, "hurry up, here come your pacers! run, run, run!!!" (I love his teasing!) I had to run super speed to catch my brother after my little stop! Luckily, mile 5 was seriously down hill. My family surprised us at about mile 10 i think. It made me smile to see them! As we made a turn at the end of the race I saw my car making its way to the finish line. It made me smile again. My mom and dad were standing just before we entered the track and I knew we were almost finished. I really did like the distance of a half marathon. I didn't feel like I was going to die..until the next day when I got out of bed and tried to walk..that was a little rough but all in all it was worth it!

2 comments:

melissa said...

Holly! Yay! What a woman to run a full marathon before trying a full. You were FAST! That's an awesome pace.

Fun to see your blog.

melissa said...

..that should say "before trying a half." Sorry, I can't type.

Good JOB on your first half marathon!! ha ha.